Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, April 27, 2009

Contemplating Change.....

Yesterday, after I left you, I went back and made a table to match the chairs. It was dead easy! I looked around for two shapes that were the same size to make the top and bottom of the table. I didn't want to bother cutting wood so I found a couple of oval mirrors that would work. I'm sorry about the fuzzy photo of the mirror backs. I figured that it was good enough to show you that I marked both mirrors in the same spot so that I could line up the canvas, top and bottom.

I put a piece of canvas around one of them with an overlap of 1/4" added. I cut the canvas that measurement by 2". That was the height that I wanted the table. I used fast grab glue to glue the canvas around one of the mirrors(starting at the mark) face up. I ran the glue down to within one inch of the bottom. Let it dry. Then with the mirror face up on the table I put glue on the last line of holes on the bottom of the canvas and fitted it over that mirror. Thus both mirrors were facing up. I let those dry and then ran 4 courses of linen cord around the top and bottom.



Tessie and Spike are enjoying fruit punch in front of her cottage. Please notice that Tessie was kind enough to let Spike have the larger chair. She says that it is a man's chair and quite unladylike to sit in.

On to other things for today. It is the time of year that always gets me to thinking about moving furniture around. I think it's a spring cleaning thing. I cleaned out the laundry closet today and am working on my closet as well. It's time to bring out summer.

While I was cleaning, I was thinking that I might change my workroom around a bit to make room for the table with the Clockwork Cottage in there. I think that I can do it.......We shall see.

As always happens with me, the chain of thought kept going. While I was thinking of moving the Clockwork Cottage I started thinking of things that I want to do to it. Suddenly it hit me! It was one of those "Duh!" moments. I was thinking about finishing the dumbwaiter. It is almost done. Then it hit me. Dumbwaiter from kitchen to "secret room"??? What kind of a secret would it be if there is a dumbwaiter in the kitchen that goes up and there is no visible corresponding space upstairs? There would be no secret! It would be like having a sign on the outside of it, pointing up and saying "Secret room this way!"

I hate to eliminate it because I am going to have to patch the floor/ceiling, but I do think that it is a necessary evil. Zar agrees. He says that he will sacrifice carrying his own food and drink up the stairs and through the secret door. He doesn't want the maid messing about in his territory.

I am going to quit thinking before this chain of thought gets me into more trouble. Back to moving furniture.

See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Casey, Tessie & Spike look very happy with the new chairs and table.

MiniKat said...

Tessie, I agree that the larger chair is more of a "guy's chair," and therefore more suited to Spike.

Casey, the table looks great! I like the mirrored top. You keep giving me great ideas to and to the never-ending list of things to try. ;-)

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Brilliant job yet again Casey.
I know its not even funny but everything you do makes me laugh. I really dont know why but your blog makes me almost wet myself with laughter.
Nikki

Anonymous said...

I love that table and chair set. As far as the dumbwaiter could it be a laundry chute or escape chute to the basement? With no access from the kitchen. (to escape from adoring witches)