Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, September 14, 2008

New Seat for an Old Chair


I am still gathering things to put in the bookshop attic. I went through a bunch of older furniture that I had in a drawer. I knew that somewhere I had a small wicker chair that would fit in the corner of the attic. The space is so small that it needs stuff that is on the small side.
I found the chair, but didn't like the cushion that was on it. I knew that I wanted to put a tuffet there, so I dug out some fabric that matched the side of the tuffet.
This is all you need to do a box cushion for a chair or even a box pillow. I cut the seat shape out of 1/4" foam core. Then I cut a top piece from poster board. I don't have it in the photo, but I also cut padding for the top piece from the thinnest quilt batting.
Next, cut fabric to cover the edge of the foam core and wrap around the top and the bottom and fabric to cover the top and wrap to the back. Clip all around.
Glue all of the edges down. Then glue the top piece to one side of the bottom. Cut a piece of fabric to cover the bottom of the cushion. It doesn't have to be fancy. If you are lucky no one will ever turn it over to see what you did.
After this dries, glue braid on the line between the two pieces. In this case I used braid to match that of the tuffet.
I made a pillow to match with the method used in the previous bed tutorial.
You can make any shape of box cushion using this method. If you are doing a lose cushion that will be moved around, I suggest that you pad both sides and use the braid or other trim along both edges.
Here's the finished chair and tuffet in the corner of the attic. At least now there are some books and a place to sit and read them in the attic.
I guess I should go see what else I can dig up or start building more furniture. Let's see.....I still need a place to store all of the books in the attic and maybe a work space for mixing potions. Back to work.
See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

April said...

I would like to sit in that chair and read. Can you make a big one or shrink me?